Ghost Help hopes to serve as a way for groups new and established to learn a bit more about the paranormal and the field they serve. This site is not meant to be an all-inclusive and one-stop shop for all knowledge of how to run a group, use science, or to become a better investigator. The goal here is to provide you with enough reasons to change, evolve, and help alter the culture of the current methodology and belief systems in place in the paranormal and potentially even other anomalous fields. I highly encourage everyone to continue to find new sources of knowledge and never stop learning in any form whether reading a website, a book, or taking a class on paranormal topics. I know this is a touchy subject with many, but if a class can provide you with new knowledge or a new angle on existing knowledge (and the cost is worth it) then why not?
I highly recommend looking at Thomas Francis University and IMHS by clicking on the links to the left. I graduated from IMHS with my Bachelor's in Metaphysical Humanistic Science and went back to complete my Master's and ultimately obtain my Ph.D.
ParaNexus is an exclusive association of dedicated and progressive paranormal and anomalous phenomena investigators focused on researching and understanding the human condition through the scientific study of aerial, psychical, cryptozoological, and anomalous phenomena, its reality, its reach, and its impact on humanity.
ParaNexus is a place for serious and professional anomalous researchers covering all forms of anomalous phenomena. If you have a serious interest in anomalous / paranormal research and investigation, then we invite you to join us!
The Committee for International Paranormal Research and Investigation Standards (CIPRIS) was created by ParaNexus to design a set of standards and protocols which outlines international standards for anomalous research. This document is intended to serve as a foundation of ethical and professional standards for ParaNexus members, Certified ParaNexus Field Investigators (CPFI), and other anomalous researchers and investigators in conducting professional anomalous investigations. This document primarily addresses the fields of Parapsychology (including hauntings), Ufology, and alien abductions. It also provides a basis to promote the continuity of professional standards and practices used throughout the anomalous research community as a whole.
Download the CIPRIS Standards
Are you used to the ABC classification system for EVP? ParaNexus created a new classification system which is designed to be more objective. Check out the KM Classification system.
ParaNexus also has a unique photo and video classification system. Check out the KM Photo/video Classifications.
Space and Atmospheric Data
NOTICE: No scientific data has ever been collected to support claims that various human experiences are heightened during full moons and no data has ever been collected to support ghost activity is heightened during full or new moons as well (this also goes with geomagnetic storms). I still encourage everyone to document their findings of ghost events and investigations, but be aware of skewing the data in favor of proof or denial of your claim.
Space Environment Center (SEC) homepage
This section provides various resources as used in the creation of this site or as additional resources of the points brought up here. I will hopefully continue to add new links as I find them.
- Glossary - Glossary of terms from the main Ghost Help site.
- Group polarization - How does working in a group make you think more extreme?
- The Power of Belief - An article by Christopher Michael of Skepthink and Paranormal Study & Independent Research Organization (PSIRO).
- Perception & the Paranormal - An article by Christopher Michael of Skepthink and Paranormal Study & Independent Research Organization (PSIRO).
- Is the Paranormal Field Really Scientific?- An article by Christopher Michael of Skepthink and Paranormal Study & Independent Research Organization (PSIRO).
- Electronic Voice Phenomenon - An informative article that discusses some of the reality behind attempting to capture EVPs (Courtesy British Columbia Ghosts & Hauntings Research society).
- EVPs as Pseudoscience - A skeptical look at EVP collection written by Michael Nees, Assistant Professor of Psychology, Lafayette College.
- A few scientific studies on EVP
- Auditory Pareidolia: Effects of Contextual Priming on Perceptions of Purportedly Paranormal and Ambiguous Auditory Stimuli - A study by Michael Nees and Charlotte Phillips on the perception of EVPs.
- Objective Analyses of Reported Real-Time Audio Instrumental Transcommunication and Matched Control Sessions: A Pilot Study - A study by Mark Boccuzzi and Julie Beischel. This study asked: Can the presence of instrumental transcommunication (ITC) be objectively detected in sessions collected by an experienced operator using EVPMaker software producing a random stream of allophones (short speech elements)?
- A Two-Year Investigation of the Allegedly Anomalous Electronic Voices or EVP - Philologist Anabela Cardoso published a two-year investigation of EVP in the journal NeuroQuantology in 2012. She used professional recording studios with high levels of acoustic shielding. She concluded, “Several extra voices were recorded during the many experiments performed for which no normal explanation was found.”
- ParaRationalize - ParaRationalise is the brain child of Paranormal investigator and researcher Kevin Kerr, it serves to help grow the knowledge of individuals in the paranormal field by pulling together scientific research and paranormal experience.
- The Paranormal Analyst - A great blog with tons of valuable and balanced resources to help anyone of any level understand basic and advanced concepts.
- Haunted Theories - Your Go-To Source for Research into Ghosts, Apparitions, and All Things Paranormal
- Bust That Ghost - A growing database that catalogs fake ghosts, UFOs, and monsters from common phone applications. Use it to figure out if that picture used one of these apps.
- Fear of psi - An article by Charles Tart discussing overcoming the fear of Psi for applications of investigating.
- Assumption-led investigations (ASSAP) - Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena.
- Ghost-Hunting Mistakes: Science and Pseudoscience in Ghost Investigations - Insight by Benjamin Radford.
- Full Moon Myths: The Truth About Lunar Effects on You - LiveScience.com.
- Occam's Razor - The basics of understanding how the simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
- How Science Works - Understanding Science site produced by the UC Museum of Paleontology of the University of California at Berkeley.
- Hypothesis Versus Theory - Do you know the difference?
- EMF Meters explained - The basics of the EMF detector and its use in our field.
- K-II Doesn't Communicate with Spirits - An article by Christopher Michael of Skepthink and Paranormal Study & Independent Research Organization (PSIRO).
- EMF Meters in Vigils; What They Measure - Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena (ASSAP).
- Inverse Square Law - Simply put, measurements diminish in known quantities at a distance. EMF detectors and other sensing tools should be used for determining the source, not merely taking readings.
- The Ovilus & Paranormal Puck - An article by Christopher Michael of Skepthink and Paranormal Study & Independent Research Organization (PSIRO).
- Ideomotor effect - Basics of unconscious muscular action.
- Poltergeists - Further information about poltergeists from Loyd Auerbach.
- Kenneth Batcheldor - A man who pioneered human-based PK research.
- History of the Society for Psychical Research
- History of the American Society for Psychical Research
- Ghost Excavation - Vertical examination of history through field research created by John G. Sabol, Jr.
- Orb FAQ - Orb explanation by the Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena.
- What are Orbs and How to Avoid them - An article by Christopher Michael of Skepthink and Paranormal Study & Independent Research Organization (PSIRO).
- Video Orbs Explained - An article by Christopher Michael of Skepthink and Paranormal Study & Independent Research Organization (PSIRO).
- Cameras vs. The Human Eye - Cambridge in Color, a great website dealing with great tutorials on camera use.
- Understanding Camera Lens Flare - Cambridge in Color.
- Electrohypersensitivity - Basics of EHS.
- EHS as a real problem - Opinion that EHS is a real issue.
- EHS as not a real problem - Opinion that EHS is not a real issue.
- Epilepsy and seizures - Information on epilepsy and seizures which can cause hallucinations.
- Medical causes for hallucinations - Rightdiagnosis.com
- Medical causes for hallucinations - Neurology.health-cares.net
- Hallucinations with grieving - Hallucinations as part of the grieving process.
There are hundreds of groups all over the United States and probably thousands all over the world. Investigating ghosts is very popular in the United Kingdom, Australia, India, and all over the globe. Be warned, not all groups are created equal!
Looking for a ghost group in Ohio? The Ohio Paranormal Groups List was created by Brian in 2008. While it is not a complete list (and probably not current due to groups coming and going so quickly) it will offer you a good idea of groups in your area.
Searching for a group elsewhere in the United States or the world? Try Paranormal Societies. While this site is rarely updated it will give you a good glimpse at groups that may still exist in your area.
ParanormalSocieties.com - The Online Paranormal Society Directory